If you’re anything like us and our girl Alessandra Ambrosio, you have a sweet tooth that just won’t quit. Luckily, we stumbled upon this delectable ice cream that’s sweet, healthy, vegan and even gluten free. Like our thirst-quenching fruit popsicles last summer, this dessert calls for an all-time Ale favorite, coconut! Check out how to make this treat at your next get together thanks to Top With Cinnamon below:
Ingredients – Ice Cream
- 1 (400 ml/14 oz) can of full fat coconut milk, chilled
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To serve:
- Pistachio crumb (see recipe below)
- Fresh blueberries
Ingredients – Pistachio Crumb:
- 1/3 cup (60 g) shelled pistachios
- 4 tbsp almond meal
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple or agave syrup
Making the Ice Cream:
1. Stir together the coconut milk, syrup and salt in a large jug.
2. Run a knife down the length of the vanilla bean (if using) and scrape out the ‘caviar’ using the knife.
3. Add this (or the vanilla extract) to the coconut milk mixture.
4. Stir together until combined.
5. Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
6. Transfer churned ice cream to a lidded container and freeze until serving.
7. Serve with the pistachio crumb and fresh blueberries.
Making the Pistachio Crumb:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Either blend the pistachios in a food processor or chop them by hand until fine and mealy.
3. In a bowl, stir together the pistachio meal, almond meal and baking soda.
4. Add the coconut oil and syrup then use your fingertips to rub the oil into the nuts and combine all the ingredients.
5. Spread out on the baking tray and bake for 4-7 minutes until the crumbs near the edge of the pan are starting to brown.
6. Let cool before serving with the ice cream.
7. Store any leftover crumb in an airtight container.